A penile erection is the result of blood entering and being contained in tissue called the corpus spongiosum inside the penis. This process is often the effect of sexual arousal, when there are signals channeled from the brain to nerves in the penis. Erectile Dysfunction is the inability of the male’s penis to maintain or achieve an erection during any sexual activity. Or simply the blood is not properly enclosed inside corpus spongiosum due to some factors.
What are the Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
A man may have Erectile Dysfunction if he had failed to have an erection, or may have inconsistent ability to achieve an erection and lastly he can only sustain an erection briefly. Though it differs in symptoms among men, these only show signs of impotence. These symptoms can randomly occur at any age, but it is more likely to happen in men older than 75 years of age.
What are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
There are many cause of impotency, here is some of it:
- Fatigue, Stress, anxiety or depression
- Alcohol and tobacco: Drinking too much alcohol, smoking too much can cause erectile dysfunction.
- Drugs : Some medicines can cause erectile dysfunction such as antidepressants, pain medicine and medicine for high blood pressure
- Brain or spinal-cord injuries
- Hypogonadism: Sometimes your hormones get out of balance and this causes erectile dysfunction
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Radiation therapy to the testicles
- Some types of prostate or bladder surgery
- Hypertension: You can’t get an erection if you cannot keep your blood sugar or your blood pressure under control.
- Psychological: Problems in your relationship with your sexual partner can also cause erectile dysfunction.
- Age: Despite the long list of what causes impotence, Age is the biggest factor of them all.
What are the Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction?
The treatment, just like any other dysfunction, it is based on the cause of the impotence. There are simple home treatments such as exercise, particularly aerobics have been proven to be effective for erectile dysfunction. With your doctor’s diagnosis on the impotency, he or she may recommend you to try some medicine to help out with erectile dysfunction. Pills like Sildenafil, tadalfil and vardenafil are medicines that are taken by orally. But there are some medications such as Alprostadil, which is injected directly into the penis. When medication methods fail, an external vacuum pump can be used to attain erection. This device helps draw blood into the penis by applying negative pressure. And if everything else fails, as a last resort, doctors will have to make use of prosthetic implants which involves the insertion of artificial rods into the penis.